Fast-fashion purveyors have made a fortune funneling the Summer of Love spirit into capsule collections. But Dianne Garcia, the creative mastermind who styles Kendrick Lamar and SZA, has two words for The Coachella Look of jean cutoffs and synthetic daisy crowns: “Over it!”
The Indio, Calif., festival, she points out, has evolved sonically over the past 19 years, but the look hasn’t. “There are all types of artists [on the bill] and people from all walks of life. The style doesn’t have to just be billowy desert vibes. Why conform?” Ahead of the festival (April 13-15 and April 20-22), Garcia puts together two comfortably cool looks to stand out in the crowd.
1. “Having gone to Coachella for so many years, I always take things like wind and dust into consideration. A windbreaker would work well for nighttime, when the breeze picks up.”
2. “I love [cycling shorts] because you can really jump around in them.”
3. “White sneakers might get fucked up and dirty, but that’s part of the fun. Plus, you’ll be comfortable in them.”
4. “[A fishnet top] is super breathable and transfers from day to night really well. You could leave the festival and go straight to a party in this look.”
5. “The Adidas Originals by AW shorts are comfortable and sporty. They have a unique look but are still functional, which is always really important to me. The black polyester [material means] you can dust the dirt off your butt.”
6. “Espadrilles have a desert feel without feeling cliché.”