Hey, I’m not judging you. There could be any number of totally legit reasons why you want to record a phone call. Maybe you need the recording for your new podcast show? Or perhaps you have just one chance to speak to Bill Murray and you wish to capture the moment forever? Whatever your reasons, here’s how to record a phone call on your Android smartphone.
Warning: Before we start, be aware that it could be illegal to record a phonecall without the other person’s knowledge in your country. Make sure you know what the law is before you do so.
How to record a phone call on Android
The easiest way to record a phone call is with the help of an Android app. There are many out there that fulfill this purpose, but the one we can recommend is Smart Voice Recorder.
The images below demonstrate the process on a Sony Xperia device. Though your phone may look different, the steps are essentially the same.
- Make a call or answer an incoming phone call.
- Once the call is connected, ask the recipient if you may record the phone call. If they respond in the affirmative, you may continue with the following steps.
- Switch your phone to speakerphone or hands-free mode (in this case, by tapping the speaker icon).
- Press the home button to arrive at the homescreen without canceling your call.
- Open the Smart Voice Recorder app.
- Tap the big red button to begin recording (if it is successful, the colored waveforms on the display will visibly move as you talk).
- Make sure that the caller’s voice is audible. The louder it is, the better it will sound on the recording. Increase the volume using the volume key on the side of the device if you need to.
- When the call is over, tap the square button that says Finish in the Smart Voice Recorder app, and name the file if it prompts you to do so.
- The recorded file will then be accessible in the Recordings section of the app. Tap and hold on a recording to interact with it.